Van catches fire in southwest Miami-Dade parking lot
Large amount of gasoline illegally stored in van, police say
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Fla. – A white van caught fire Tuesday in a parking lot in southwest Miami-Dade.
Sky 10 was above the scene at 15355 SW 73rd Terrace Circle shortly before 2 p.m., while Miami-Dade firefighters were working to extinguish the flames.
Authorities said no one was inside the van when the fire started, and witnesses who live in the area said they haven't seen the van before.
"I live here and I usually recognize the cars that are here and people who live here, but that van -- I've never seen it here," Andres Herrera said.
Detectives said a large amount of gasoline was being illegally and dangerously stored in the back of the van.
It's unclear what sparked the fire, but foam trucks assigned to Tamiami Airport were brought in to extinguish the flames.
"I thought it was just a normal fire, and I went in the house and came back out and saw all the commotion and that they couldn't control the flames," Herrera said.
By Tuesday night, crews were working to remove the liquid that was left over from the firefight.
Meanwhile, a firefighter reflected about the fire in a text message:
"We never know what we will encounter so our gear and hours and hours of training is what stands between us and an injury or even death."
The fire remains under investigation.
No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.