HOMESTEAD, Fla. – A Miami-Dade firefighter responded to his own home Tuesday in Homestead while on duty and found his wife dead inside a bedroom.
That is according to a GoFundMe page that was created for the husband stated.
According to Detective Lee Cowart, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade Police Department, officers were also called to the house and set up a perimeter around it at the intersection of Northwest 18th Street and Northwest 12th Avenue.
Miami-Dade firefighters and Homestead Police Department officers were also seen outside of the house. Detective Khristopher Welch, a spokesman for MDPD, said there is a joint investigation between The Florida State Fire Marshal, the Miami-Dade Fire Department and MDPD.
“Homicide is here because a deceased person was found inside the home,” Welch said. “Now they have to determine why and how that happened.”
A GoFundMe page identified the victim as the wife of Firefighter Corey Logan.
The fundraising page was created by fellow firefighter Christopher Morales.
“Corey has been a firefighter with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue for over 20 years with almost all of those years here at Station 6,” Morales wrote. “He’s the bid in Driver on Engine 6 B shift and is the heart and soul of the station. His energy is infectious and is hands down one of the best D/O’s on The Job!”
Sources told Local 10 News that Logan’s wife has been known to use a wheelchair in the past.
“Corey has been his wife’s caretaker for many years as she has advanced Lupus among many other medical conditions,” Morales wrote. “Everyday not at the Firehouse he was taking care of her like no other.”
According to the fundraising page, Logan was working an overtime shift Tuesday when he received a Ring notification on his phone that showed his neighbor “frantically banging on his front door.”
He rushed home with other firefighters on the rig, and while they were on the way they received a call for a fire at Logan’s address, Morales wrote.
Heavy smoke and flames were coming from the home when firefighters arrived.
“We did our job and put the fire out and searched as fast as we could but were too late,” Morales wrote. “She was in the bedroom where the fire started and passed away as a result. This is a Fireman’s worst nightmare! Not only did he show up first to his house burning, but also lost the love of his life as a result of the fire as well.”
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue released a statement Wednesday, thanking everyone for their “outpouring support and their condolences.”
“At this time, out of respect for the family, we kindly ask for privacy as they are dealing with this tragic loss,” the statement read. “We thank you for your patience and cooperation as we are focusing on supporting our firefighter and their family.”
Click here if you would like to make a donation to Logan during his time of need.