KEY WEST, Fla. – The U.S. Coast Guard is continuing to search for possible survivors off the Florida Keys after a boat that sailed out of Cuba capsized. So far, they have rescued eight people and found two bodies, officials said.
The survivors said they left Puerto de Mariel on Sunday, and the boat capsized on Wednesday evening, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. A team is searching for 10 other people who vanished at sea.
Senior Chief Seth Haynes, the Key West command center supervisor, asked the public to help the survivors if they find them and contact the Coast Guard.
“Our responders are focused on the search for survivors,” Haynes said on Thursday. “We will continue to search through the night.”
While on routine patrol, the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Resolute found the eight survivors about 18 miles southwest of Key West, and they alerted Sector Key West watchstanders to launch a search team. The survivors remain on the cutter, where they have received food and water, officials said.
The Coast Guard brought the two bodies to shore in Key West.
The Coast Guard team includes three helicopters: Air Station Miami’s MH-65 Dolphin helicopter, Air Station Clearwater’s MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter, and a Naval Air Station Key West H-60 helicopter. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is also assisting.
Related social media
#BREAKING @USCG assets rescued 8 people and recovered 2 bodies from the water at approximately 1 p.m., Thursday, 18 miles southwest of #KeyWest. #USCG assets are currently searching for another 10 possible people in the water.— USCGSoutheast (@USCGSoutheast) May 27, 2021
More updates to follow. pic.twitter.com/YbqEh9FxIL
Local 10 News Assignment Desk Editors Wilson Louis and Emily Hales contributed to this report.