WILTON MANORS, Fla. – In an outbreak with more than 80 cases, 16 residents of The Manor Pines Convalescent Center in Wilton Manors died of complications with the coronavirus disease, state officials reported on Friday.
According to the Florida Department of Health’s Friday report, the number of residents who died of the respiratory illness increased from 3 to 16 in one week.
Officials also reported 86 coronavirus cases are linked to the nursing home including 57 residents and 29 employees.
Penny Wilson says her 71-year-old mother, Willie Brinson, has been living at the facility for the past two years.
She says the staff never even called to notify them about the deaths.
"The family don’t supposed to know about this? It’s heartbreaking, it really is," said Penny. "You can’t go inside the building, and when you call, they’re not going to give out any information."
They’re now calling for more to be done to protect the life of their mother, and her fellow residents.
“These people are lying to my mother, for no reason,” Penny said. “And then it’s like I’m getting false information.”
The Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration’s record shows the facility, at 1701 NE 26 St., has 206 community beds, 94 rooms with two beds and 18 private rooms.
Florida’s DOH reported 83 deaths are linked to coronavirus outbreaks at long-term care facilities in Broward County.
11 deadly coronavirus outbreaks in Broward
- Manor Pines Convalescent Center: 16 deaths
- The Alexander “Sandy” Nininger State Veterans Nursing Home: 7 deaths
- Atria Willow Wood: 7 deaths
- The Court at Palm Aire: 7 deaths
- Harborchase of Tamarac: 5 deaths
- Palms Care Center: 5 deaths
- Bright Horizons of Ramblewood, Inc.: 4 deaths
- Nspire Healthcare Lauderhill: 4 deaths
- Presidential Place: 4 deaths
- Five Star Premier Residences of Hollywood: 3 deaths
- Nspire Healthcare Plantation: 3 deaths
Here is the list of four Broward long-term care facilities reporting 2 coronavirus-related deaths:
- Covenant Village Care Center
- Hillcrest Health Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Memorial Manor
- Villa Rio Vista
Here is the list of 9 Broward long-term care facilities reporting a coronavirus-related death:
- Avalon Park Retirement Residence, Inc
- Five Star Premier Residences of Plantation
- Oakmonte Village of Davie
- Pacifica Senior Living Forest Trace
- Park Summit at Coral Springs
- Saejca’s Castle LLC
- St. John’s Nursing Center
- The Horizon Club
- The Preserve at Palm Aire