WILTON MANORS, Fla. - A Brightline train struck a man Thursday night in Wilton Manors, police said.
Wilton Manors police said the southbound train struck the pedestrian in the 1200 block of Northeast 24th Street.
More Brightline Headlines
- Video show moments before Brightline train hit bicycle rider
- Lawmakers want Brightline to pay for safety upgrades
- Brightline train strikes man in Fort Lauderdale
- Brightline executives address safety concerns amid recent deaths
- Brightline safety measures questioned by victim's family
- Second person killed by Brightline train in less than week
- Woman killed by Brightline train in Boynton Beach on eve of debut
The victim was taken to Broward Health Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale.
Officer Jennifer Bickhardt said the victim's injuries were not life-threatening.
"Based on witness reports, this was an intentional act by an individual who laid on the tracks before the train approached," a Brightline representative told Local 10 News. "We appreciate the work of our team and first responders who acted quickly to remove him safely."
Police confirmed Friday that the incident was a suicide attempt.
It's the fourth time the high-speed train has struck a person since the service opened to the public Jan. 13. There were two other incidents during testing in July and November.
Melissa Lavell, 32, was killed Jan. 12 in Boynton Beach and Jeffrey King, 51, was killed Jan. 17, also in Boynton Beach. The two others were injured. A person was struck Jan. 19 in Fort Lauderdale and the other Feb. 3 in Lake Worth.
Police said the two killed were violating safety measures on the Florida East Coast Railway tracks, while misjudging the train's speed.
Before the service between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach opened to the public, there were two other deaths. A Brightline train struck and killed a 35-year-old woman Nov. 1 in Deerfield Beach and an 18-year-old woman July 26 in Boca Raton. Authorities ruled the teen's death was a suicide.
Copyright 2018 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.