MIAMI — A 37-year-old Homestead man is behind bars after police said he carjacked a man in Miami’s Overtown neighborhood earlier this summer.
It happened around 3 p.m. on June 22 in the area of Northwest Third Avenue and 10th Street.
According to the Miami Police Department, the victim parked his vehicle near the intersection and was looking for something in his trunk when he was approached by the suspect, who has been identified as Pierre Smith.
Police said Smith came up to the victim with a gun, and after snatching $100 out of his hand, proceeded to take an additional $1,800 from his pockets, along with his car keys before getting in the car and driving off.
The car was later found unoccupied along the 400 block of Northwest 19th Street later that day.
Police said through their investigation, they were able to identify Smith as the suspect, though the specifics of that identification were not released.
Investigators obtained a warrant for cell site information and determined that Smith had been in the area of the carjacking before it occurred and was also in the area of where the car was left abandoned after the incident, according to an arrest warrant.
On Tuesday, officers went to Smith’s home and took into custody.
A confession was made while speaking with Miami police officers, but it was redacted from Smith’s arrest form.
Police said a records check indicated Smith was a felon from a 2015 case in which he was convicted for accessory after the fact to a second-degree murder.
In this case, he is facing charges of armed carjacking and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
As of Wednesday morning, Smith was being held at the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center with bond listed as “to be set.”
Copyright 2026 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.

