Tropical Storm Isaias: Expected to become hurricane again as it heads toward Carolinas

11 a.m. Monday, Tropical Isaias cone. (National Hurricane Center)

PEMBROKE PARK, Fla. – Tropical Storm Isaias is offshore from Georgia and is expected to become a Category 1 hurricane again before it makes landfall near the Carolina coastline on Monday night.

Isaias is expected to bring strong winds and heavy rainfall from the eastern Carolinas to the Mid-Atlantic coast Monday night through Tuesday.

A hurricane warning has been issued for a portion of the coast of South and North Carolina.

On the forecast track, the center of Isaias will move offshore of the coast of Georgia and southern South Carolina on Monday, move inland over eastern South Carolina or southern North Carolina Monday night and move along the coast of the mid-Atlantic states on Tuesday.

Tropical Storm Isaias remains off shore from Florida and is expected to become a hurricane again on Monday as it continues its path toward the Carolinas.

At 11 a.m. Monday, Tropical Storm Isaias was located about 90 miles east-southeast of Brunswick, Georgia, and 220 miles south-southwest of Myrtle Beach, S.C. The storm had maximum sustained winds of 70 mph and was moving north at 13 mph.

A turn toward the north and north-northeast along with an increase in forward speed is anticipated on Monday and Tuesday.

Hurricane conditions are possible in the watch area in South and North Carolina Monday night and early Tuesday.

Even though Isaias has lost its hold on South Florida’s weather pattern, Local 10 meteorologist Jordan Patrick said a few effects will linger into the week ahead. Expect mostly cloudy skies with quick-moving showers off and on overnight. These quick moving showers will continue Monday morning as well and scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Isaias damage

The storm caused storm surge flooding, landslides and damaged roofs, crops and trees in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.

A man was electrocuted in the Dominican Republic and a woman vanished during flooding in Puerto Rico. There were also power outages and water service disruptions.

Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency for 19 counties in Florida, including Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

A woman in North Lauderdale’s apartment was ruined by downpours from the storm and a large piece of ceiling fell onto a woman sleeping in her bed in Miami.

Status alerts

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect from Edisto Beach South Carolina to Cape Fear North Carolina, portions of the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, including the Neuse and Pamlico Rivers, and for the North Carolina Outer Banks form Oregon Inlet to the North Carolina/Virginia border.

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect from Cape Fear to Duck North Carolina, Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds.

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for South Santee River South Carolina to Surf City North Carolina.

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect from Altamaha Sound Georgia to South Santee River South Carolina, North of Surf City, North Carolina, to the Mouth of the Merrimack River, Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds, Chesapeake Bay, Tidal Potomac River, Delaware Bay, Long Island and Long Island Sound, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket and Block Island.

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect from Mouth of the Merrimack River to Eastport, Maine.

Elsewhere in the tropics

The National Hurricane Center is tracking showers and thunderstorms associated with a tropical wave located a few hundred miles north of the northern Leeward Islands.

Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for additional development during the next few days, and a tropical depression could form by the middle of the week, forecasters say.

It’s being given a 40% chance of formation chance over the next 48 hours and a 60% of formation through five days.

The system is forecast to move northwestward over the southwestern Atlantic Monday and Tuesday, forecasters say, and then stall several hundred miles southwest of Bermuda by the middle to latter part of the week.

FOR MORE COVERAGE: Visit our Local 10 Hurricane Page

11 a.m. Monday, Tropical Storm Isaias advisory. (
Max Tracker (Local 10 News)

About the Authors:

Michelle F. Solomon is the podcast producer/reporter/host of Local 10's original, true-crime podcast The Florida Files and a digital journalist for Local